Pentaho vs Talend
Pentaho is a commerical open-source BI suite that has a product called Kettle for data integration.
It uses an innovative meta-driven approach and has a strong and very easy-to-use GUI.
The company started around 2001 (2002 was when kettle was integrated into it).
It has a strong community of 13,500 registered users.
It has a stand-alone java engine that process the jobs and tasks for moving data between many different databases and files.
It can schedule tasks (but you need a schedular for that – cron).
It can run remote jobs on “slave servers” on other machines.
- It has the biggest ETL community and many finance companies and investors supporting it.
- It generates java code which you later run on your server / deploy using manual or automatic
- It has data quality features: from its own GUI, writing more customised SQL queries and Java.
- It can run on remote and on local and the jobs can be used as java executable jars independently
- it has a on premise and Cloud version
- its mature and up to date on Big data technologies ( i.e Spark, Hive , AWS ..etc )
- Fairly priced and has subscription model independent from your project size.
- It can run remote jobs